Who must attend school in Idaho?

Idaho law requires that all resident children between the ages of seven and 16 must attend school.  In this district, a resident child refers to a child whose parent or legal guardian has a home located within the boundaries of the Twin Falls School District.

How old does my child have to be to start school?

Children entering kindergarten must be five years old on or by September 1 of the year they are enrolling. Children entering first grade must be six years old on or before September 1 of the year they are enrolling. This is a state guideline and as such, we cannot enroll students before they reach these important ages.

What documents must I have in order to register my child?

Please bring proof of residency when you register your child. This can be a utility bill, rental contract, or mortgage papers.

Idaho State law requires that parents must present the following documents in order to register any child in public school:

  • Certified birth certificate. If a copy is unavailable at the time of registration, the parent/legal guardian may have up to 30 days to submit the document to the school.
  • Immunization certificate signed by a physician or physician’s representative must be presented at the time of registration. Please see the 2016-17 Guide to Immunizations on this page for information from the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare about what immunizations are required.
    • EXEMPTIONS:Idaho law allows a parent/guardian to claim an exemption from immunization requirements for their child for medical, religious, or personal reasons. All exemptions must be documented on the official State of Idaho form provided by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, Immunization Program. A medical exemption requires the signature of a licensed physician and certification that the child has a medical condition which prevents him or her from receiving required vaccinations. The law does not allow parents/guardians to claim an exemption because the shot record is lost or incomplete, or because it is too much trouble to contact the physician or clinic and obtain a copy.
  • Transcripts and records regarding education and/or special services placement are helpful. If you have not already transferred your child’s records, you may sign a record transfer request at the time of registration.
  • If your child has attended school in another system in Idaho, all Idaho laws must be followed as they pertain to registration, including birth certificates, immunization documents, age requirements, and legal guardianship.
  • In all registration proceedings, legal guardians, other than parents, must provide certified proof of guardianship.
  • Parents of potential first-grade students (students who have attended kindergarten in another state, yet are underage for first-grade attendance in Idaho) must provide documentation from the child’s previous school stating that the child has successfully completed 450 hours of approved kindergarten instruction.

Print off and complete the forms below to register your student. Bring these forms to the office when completed.